Sunday, August 17, 2008

You Have Won

Isabelle, my mother-in-law, has always been an easy mark for tele-marketers, door-to-door salesmen, and charities asking for money. On our last trip over to Scotland, we found that she had subcribed to the Reader's Digest book of the month club. We discovered her secret when a red "pleather" bound book titled Great Expectations in gold leaf arrived on her doorstep. She was busted.

The conversation went something like this...

Isabelle: I am in a book club.

Stew (my husband, her son): When do you meet?

I: We don't meet. It's not that kind of a book club. They just send me books and I just pay for them.

S: Well Mum, have you read any of them?

I: No, I just thought they would be nice to hand down to the grandchildren someday.

S: Mum, this is crazy, to buy books that you are not going to read...you have to cancel this.

I: Can you call them? I don't want them to be mad at me.

Evidently something has changed in her life. She is a sucker no more.

The line that is especially telling to us..."When I get these now, I tear them up and don't even read them." Now being the operative word.

No comments: